Undoubtedly, if you are facing a murder or manslaughter charge, you understand that your freedom is at stake. In Tennessee, the criminal justice system is tougher on homicide-related offenses than any other criminal offense. At the Working Law Firm, we handle these types of cases on a regular basis. If you or a loved one have been arrested or are being investigated for a homicide-related incident, you need the help of Tennessee homicide lawyer immediately. Michael Working is not only familiar with first-degree murder cases, he is death penalty certified, meaning that he is qualified to represent first-degree murder cases that carry a potential death sentence.

Recently, our attorneys have achieved some outstanding results for our clients. While we do not name our clients for obvious reasons, here are some examples of the work we have done.

2013 Trial Results

A.J. was charged with first-degree murder in a cold case nearly four years after the crime occurred. It was very difficult to prove defenses like alibi four years after the fact. We worked incredibly hard to piece together the case, and came up with several other potential suspects who may have committed the murder. The state had concerns about the strength of their case and agreed to reduce the charges to voluntary manslaughter. Rather than risk a sentence of life in prison, our client pled guilty to a lesser sentence that made him instantly eligible for parole.

S.G. faced charges of attempted second-degree murder for stabbing a man who attacked him. At a jury trial, we proved that the man had been drinking all day and then attacked our client while yelling inappropriate slurs. We proved that our client acted only in self-defense and after he spent nineteen months in jail waiting for trial, a jury of his peers found S.G. not guilty.

J.F. faced a capital murder trial for the murder of a witness to a gang related drive-by shooting. J.F. had long since left the gang and was enrolled in college. We crafted a defense to argue that the State’s star witness was the true killer. The State then chose to reduce the charges. Rather than face the death penalty, J.F. chose to plead guilty to a lesser form of murder. The state’s star witness is now in custody and facing charges on another murder.

G.C. faced charges of second-degree attempted murder for the shooting of another man in the victim’s home. G.C. had never been in trouble for any crime of violence. After a jury trial, the jury could not reach a unanimous verdict, but voted 10-2 for a verdict of not guilty. G.C. pled to a misdemeanor assault to avoid the emotional trauma of having a second trial.

2012 Trial Results

A.H. faced a jury trial for attempted second-degree murder. A.H. claimed that he was on his own property acting in self-defense. After a week long trial, the jury voted 10-2 for a verdict of not guilty. The state then agreed to a plea for a reckless aggravated assault and A.H. was released immediately.

M.D. was charged with attempted first-degree murder for shooting a person who survived after being shot eleven times. The Court asked the Working Law Firm to represent the defendant at a preliminary hearing. At the preliminary hearing, the state used a jailhouse snitch to testify that M.D. made a full confession in his first hour inside the jail. The victim testified that the Defendant was present during the shooting. After hearing all the proof in the preliminary hearing, the judge ruled that there was no probable cause to believe that M.D. committed the crime and dismissed the charges.

2011 Trial Results
J.W. was charged with attempted first-degree murder for a severe beating that left the victim with ninety-eight stitches and confined to the hospital for weeks. Police questioned the victim while he was recovering from injuries to his brain and was severely medicated. We spoke to the victim again months later, and he admitted that he identified the wrong person after being pressured by police to identify someone from a photographic lineup. After reviewing the investigation of the Working Law Firm, the prosecutor dismissed the charges.

D.H. was charged with attempted first-degree murder for shooting someone on his own front porch. After a six-day trial, the jury voted 11-1 to acquit D.H. of all charges except reckless aggravated assault. He went home to his family the same day.

2010 Trial Results

K.B. was charged with attempted first-degree murder for beating a gang member with a baseball bat on his own front porch. The gang member came to the house in the middle of the night to terrorize K.B.’s wife. After a four-day jury trial, the state agreed to dismiss all murder charges against K.B. and he pled to a lesser offense in a separate count of the indictment. He was immediately eligible for parole.

P.C. was charged with shooting a young man who attacked his son with a large gang in the street outside the family home. After an investigation, the Working Law Firm built a case that P.C. tried to break up the fight, and only acted in self-defense when he was backed up against a fence on the sidewalk. We found evidence that P.C. fired several warning shots into the sidewalk before shooting one of the aggressors in self-defense. The State agreed to reduce the charges to a lesser form of attempted homicide, and P.C. is home with his family today.

M.B. was charged with attempted first-degree murder for being in a car that allegedly fired shots at the victim. After questioning the victim at a bond hearing, we proved that the story as told by the victim was less believable than most Hollywood action movies. At a second hearing, the judge dismissed the case, and the state chose not to indict the matter.